Tuesday, December 6, 2016

diy soapy Christmas ornaments

Stella Crown Elixirs

Last days I was busy with a very special project, which usually doesn’t concern me because generally I am an anti- conformist person. What I mean? Since I remember myself working on a business sector such as natural cosmetics, I avoid systematically to deal with seasonal products; I’m not interested to make “easy money” because first of all I am a creative human being and not a merchant and secondly I am lazy. I don’t like to put myself under pressure. And an authentic Christmas project has to put me under pressure, if I want it to be successful.
This time though, I took a step back in my beliefs to move forward, for a good cause. We all know my country’s economical problems; many important public services are underperforming, such as that of Education. Therefore, Parents Associations organised Christmas bazaars in order to raise funds which will be allocated to the school needs.  So, I was asked to take part in these actions by making seasonal products and donate the money to the school, for the reasons I told you and I accepted with all my heart.

Stella Crown Handmade Natural Cosmetics
I made for the school melt and pour soapy Christmas ornaments, which they smell as delicious as they look and can be given as a unique holiday gift.
For this project I used melt and pour soap base (SLS free), early harvest olive oil, honey and food flavouring oil. When the soap was ready, I drew on it with mica colours and I allowed the paint to dry for a day before wrapping in plastic. You can hang the soapy ornaments on the tree but you can also wash your hands, your body and your face; don’t be afraid of the colours, they are eco- friendly.

ingredients for the soap:
100 g white melt and pour soap base SLS free
3 g early harvest olive oil
3 g flower honey
1 g essential oil of your choice
or
2,5 g food flavouring oil of your choice

ingredients for drawing:
1 DASH mica colour
rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle

equipment:
- saucepan
- painting palette
- paint brushes
- cutting board
- knife
- silicon cake mold
- glass pyrex bowl with a spout
- digital thermometer
- high accuracy digital scale
- measuring spoons
- stainless steel whisk for mixing
- plastic wrap
  • Before we start making our soapy ornaments we wear our gloves and we sterilise tools, containers and work surface.
  • Cut the soap base on the cutting board with the knife and weigh the soap on the scale. Cut again in little cubes.
  • Put the cubes in the glass pyrex bowl.
  • I use a saucepan as a double boiler, a method which is called “bain marie”. So, fill a heat- proof saucepan 1/3 full of water and place it to low temperature.
  • Place the glass pyrex bowl into the saucepan and melt.
  • When the soap base is melted, stir thoroughly and remove your glass pyrex bowl from heat. Check the temperature.
  • Add the early harvest olive oil and stir again. Check the temperature again. When the temperature is 55 Celsius, add the honey and the essential oil of your choice (or the food flavouring oil of your choice).
  • Spray into the melted soap with the rubbing alcohol because we don’t want to have any bubbles.
  • Now spray again into the silicon cake mold. Pour the soap and spray it again with the rubbing alcohol.
  • When the soap cools down and becomes solid, remove it from the mold.
  • Take the painting palette and pour 1 DASH mica colour of your choice. The measuring spoons for the job are these:
  • Spray on the mica colour with rubbing alcohol until the colour becomes liquid and can be worked with the brush.
  • Draw as you want on the soap.
  • Allow the paint to dry for a day before wrapping in plastic.
  • You can hang the soapy ornaments on the tree but you can also wash your hands, your body and your face; don’t be afraid of the colours, they are eco- friendly.
Stella Crown©
Stella Crown Beauty Lounge
Stella Crown Lab
Stella Crown Beauty Elixirs
Stella Crown- Christmas Project
Κράτα τοΚράτα το