Wednesday, December 26, 2018

diy rose & myrrh body lotion

diy rose body lotion by Stella Crown
My obsession with roses is well-known and while we are in the heart of winter, I decided to make a rich and pink moisturizing lotion with an airy and velvety texture. It leaves the skin soft and hydrated and is suitable for hands and body.

True to my aromatic habits, I didn’t forget to make an aromatic oil from roses  that I harvested in May, where I tried to “lock”, with the enfleurage method, their delicate fragrance with their beneficial properties. Actually I infused rose petals in grape seed oil (click here for the process) which I combined with rose hip oil, aromatic rose wax and rose floral water from Kozani for deep hydration, regeneration and revitalization of the skin.
In order to give an oriental spicy touch to my emulsion, I added some drops of  myrrh essential oil. In most religious texts of various cultures it is referred to as "sacred" and used in ceremonies as a balm of soul and skin. It has anti-inflammatory and healing action while it has remarkable emotional and energy properties.
in the lab 
Rose & Myrrh Body Lotion
recipe for 100 g | 3.5 oz

cosmetic phase a’:
8 g | 0.28 oz rose petals infused grape seed oil
7 g | 0.25 oz shea butter
7 g | 0.25 oz emulsifying wax
1 g | 0.04 oz rose wax

cosmetic phase b’:
40 g | 1.41 oz rose floral water from Kozani
30 g | 1.06 oz geranium floral water
2 g | 0.07 oz vegetable glycerin
0,5 g | 0.02 oz allantoin

cosmetic phase c’:
2 g | 0.07 oz rose hip oil
1 g | 0.04 oz silk protein
12 drops vitamin E
1 g | 0.04 oz preservative

cosmetic phase d’:
7 drops myrrh essential oil
6 drops rosewood essential oil
4 drops geranium essential oil
3 drops ylang ylang essential oil
3 drops rose essential oil 
  • Before start making the lotion, sterilise the tools, the containers and your working surface, while wear definitely gloves.
  • Follow the cosmetic cream preparation process; available here.
The emulsifier I used in this recipe is polawax.
We do not heat the rose hip oil oil because it's sensitive. Add it to the third phase of the cream.
For the color, I used beet root extract.
If you don’t find rose wax, you can skip and add 1 gram of shea butter.
If you can’t have rose infused oil, you can just use grape seed oil.

Stella Crown©