A clean, balanced and healthy skin is perfectly possible if we understand and respect how it functions. So we can work with our skin rather than against it, in order to get the results we want. One method that is constantly gaining ground for facial cleansing is the oil cleansing method which is ideal even for acne prone skin types.
how does it work:
Most of the dirt which is concentrated on the skin, is oil-soluble, so it's easier to remove it with oil than with water. At the same time, our skin secretes sebum, which consists of oily texture and in this way moisturizes and retains the dirt on the surface of the skin. If soap or other surfactant cleansing products are used, we clean the skin thoroughly, leaving it without hydration. The epidermis sees this as a risk, resulting in even more sebum that clogs the pores, showing pimples and black spots on the surface.
But when oil cleansing is done properly, we maintain greasy levels at normal levels, keeping the skin clean, hydrated and healthy.
So, if you feel your skin stretched out after washing, then you've come to the right place to try a different facial cleansing experience.
Soap- free Facial Cleanser with Hemp Seed Oil & Powdered Rose
recipe for ~100 g | 3.5 oz
20 g | 0.71 oz cocoa butter
10 g | 0.35 oz shea butter
12 g | 0.42 oz sweet almond oil
8 g | 0.28 oz hazelnut oil
5 g | 0.18 oz hemp seed oil
4 g | 0.14 oz rose hip oil
30 g | 1.06 oz white clay
10 g | 0.35 oz powdered rose
1 g | 0.04 oz broad spectrum preservative
5 drops patchouli essential oil
4 drops jasmine essential oil
1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
1 drop rose essential oil
- Before you start making the cleanser, sanitise tools, containers, work surface and don’t forget your gloves.
- In a beaker add the butters, the almond oil and the hazelnut oil. Place it in a waterbath with low heat and remove the beaker when your mix is completely melted.
- In another beaker, pour the hemp seed oil, the rose hip oil, the clays and the powdered rose. Add the melted butters to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Wait for the mixture to cool down and add preservative and essential oils. Stir well and pour the balm into a jar.
- Hemp seed oil and rose hip oil are two highly sensitive oils and we never heat them because they are otherwise oxidized and destroyed.
- Preservative is necessary. And it is necessary because firstly our product will be in the humid environment of the bathroom where water can fall into the jar through our wet hands and secondly, in this formula I used plant powder where it tends to spoil faster than other ingredients.
how do you use it:
Splash face and neck with water. Take a teaspoon of your product which must be at room temperature for easy application to the skin, melt it a little bit with your fingers and spread it all over the face and neck, making gentle circular massage movements.
You can leave the product on skin for about 10’ if you want to act as a face mask.
Rinse the mixture with a wet warm towel or a generous amount of water until the product is removes. Use now a dry towel.
Finish with your moisturizer but this may not be necessary.
- Cocoa butter is known for its antioxidant properties as it contains vitamin E, softens the skin and improves its elasticity while the shea butter has a high content of vegetable fats, helping to maintain natural moisture.
- Almond oil cares and nourishes the skin while hazelnut oil immediately aids skin's firming and softness, even fighting acne.
- Hemp seed oil is moisturizing and rejuvenating, especially for oily skin, as it is immediately absorbed without leaving any trace of oil, while the rose hip oil fights free radicals and protects the skin from premature aging.
- White clay helps to remove dead cells from the skin and the sebum from the skin pores. It improves the blood circulation locally and through its antibacterial action enhances the body's ability to treat skin irritations. Unlike other clays, it does not remove moisture from the skin, making it the ideal clay for people with dry skin. It is particularly "soft" in its action and therefore fits into sensitive skin.
- The rose powder soothes the tired skin while improving and maintaining elasticity.
- The synergistic effect of essential oils helps to regenerate cells, combat wrinkles and even balances the oily skin type.