Tuesday, March 15, 2016

what is coconut good for? (coconut, Cocos nucifera)

coconut tree
It comes from coconut tree and belongs to the Palm family (Arecaceae). Its native land, southeast Asia where has been the main source of fat in people's diet for centuries. It came to us through Spanish and Portuguese explorers in the 16th century, who also called it "coconut," where "coco" means "face of the monkeys" (because of the holes at its base).

From the coconut, we product water, milk, oil and sugar, the coconut trunk is used for timber while the leaves are useful for making baskets and roofs for houses.
coconut water
Coconut water is the sweet transparent liquid that is the inside of the coconut when the fruit is still unripe. It’s a nutritious and refreshing drink, consisting of 95% water, while the remaining 5% includes fiber, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, carbohydrates, folic acid and minerals. Consumption of coconut water contributes significantly to our health as it hydrates the body deeply; it is very popular among athletes as it is the ideal natural isotonic drink, it balances ph, helps the circulatory system well, but also activates metabolism to contributes to fat burning. It is diuretic, helps in the process of digestion, strengthens bones and muscles and fights anxiety and depression.
It is also ideal for skin and hair care. It hydrates the skin deeply, fights free radicals, therefore aging, is antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, while when it is used in hair it stimulates hair follicles, treats hair loss, strengthens root and tips, gives elasticity and eliminates frizz dryness. This water, as the coconut matures, turns into the white flesh we see internally from which is produced the coconut milk.
coconut milk
Coconut milk contains many saturated fat, proteins, phytosterols, sugars, carbohydrates, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E and K as well as plenty of metallic elements. Similarly to coconut water, it provides antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, emollient and moisturizing properties. It stimulates the immune system, helps in weight loss, strengthens the nervous and circulatory system, reduces cholesterol, relieves the symptoms of arthritis and strengthens the maximum bones and teeth.
It stimulates our hair in the same way that stimulates coconut water, it relieves burns, and sun burn, relieves of serious skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. It strengthens the skin elasticity, prevents wrinkles and dark spots.

It is widely used in cooking and pastry and is a key ingredient in cocktails such as pina colada and badida de coco. Cheers!
coconut sugar
One of the most well-known vegetable oils is coconut oil which is not only used in cosmetics and soaps but is also edible. Virgin coconut oil has the characteristic exotic fragrsnce, is made from coconut flesh and has a long life term (more than 1 year in ideal conditions). It is rich in saturated and unsaturated fatty acids such as myristic, stearic, lauric, palmitic, oleic and linoleic acids, vitamins E and K, phytosterols, minerals and trace elements. It has multiple uses and benefits. Some of these are anti-aging, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and soothing. It is also used in hair and skin. It is necessary for dry and dehydrated skin as well as for oily and acne problems. It helps in the production of natural collagen, it gives softness and shine, prevents wrinkles and aging, regenerates tissues, helps in stretch marks, burns and wounds while in hair, it has the ability to remove lice, nourishes and hydrates deeply, gives elasticity, relieves irritations and infections, and expects dry skin and dandruff. Provides sun protection with SPF 4 to 10.
coconut oil
Fractionated coconut oil is much poorer than virgin oil, but it is lighter and is absorbed directly. It is especially preferred for massage, bath oils and is used mostly by oily skin types.
Stella Crown©

Κράτα τοΚράτα το